FSCI IS A WEEK-LONG PROGRAM OF INTENSIVE COURSEWORK, GROUP ACTIVITIES, AND HANDS-ON TRAINING AROUND THE LATEST TRENDS IN SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATION.
Courses cover new and emerging topics in scholarly communication from a multidisciplinary and global perspective: from research ethics, rigor and responsibility, and measuring impact to new publishing technologies and forms of scholarly publication. Whether you’re a researcher, a librarian, or an administrator, you’ll encounter new ideas, challenge your preconceptions, and return home with ideas, tools, and tactics for instigating change at your institution. See what past attendees have to say about their FSCI experience.
FSCI 2019 FEEDBACK
PUBLISH, NOT PERISH
Scientific and Scholarly Communication is in the middle of a system-wide disruption. These changes have affected every aspect of research, from its practice, to its administration, to its use. There are new forms of publication, new standards and expectations, new ways of measuring and demonstrating success, new dangers and pitfalls.
The Force11 Scholarly Communication Institute at UCLA (FSCI) is a summer school that helps people learn how to navigate this new world. Its instructors include leading practitioners from the world of research, libraries, publishing, and research administration. Its courses range from basic orientations through classes in the most advanced topics. Its goal is to provide a friendly, community-based way of learning about and keeping up to date on the latest trends, technologies, and opportunities that are transforming the way science and scholarship is done.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
FSCI is intended for anybody who is interested in the developing new world of Scholarly Communication: researchers, librarians, publishers, university and research administration, funders, students, and post docs. There are courses for those who know very little about the current trends and technologies, as well as courses for those who are interested in more advanced topics. Our courses cover Scholarly Communication from a variety of disciplinary and regional and national perspectives. We have courses that will be of interest to the scientist, the social scientist, and the Humanities researcher. There are courses for those who manage, organise, and publish research as well as for the researchers themselves and end-users.
FSCI is organised by FORCE11 (The Future of Research Communication and eScholarship) in collaboration with the UCLA Library. Force11 is a community of scholars, librarians, archivists, publishers and research funders that arose organically to study and facilitate new developments in knowledge creation and communication. Membership is open to all who share this interest! Join Today.
FSCI 2017 – San Diego, California
- “It was a great week, I would recommend it to others.”
- “I would love to go again, Would go again if it was exactly the same format. What was great: the overall atmosphere, the willingness of everyone to talk and share, and the diversity of subjects.”
- “This was an intense but very worthwhile week. I learned a lot and felt privileged to be among so many people who are change-makers at their institutions. It was inspiring. I would be tempted to return to take advantage of classes that I didn’t have time for this first time around.”
- “FSCI gathers passionate experts from all subdomains of research communication. Fantastic summer camp, networking and learning in lovely La Jolla”
- “FSCI 2017 was a wonderful learning intensive experience. I went away with great strategies to share with our university librarians, friends, colleagues and fellow students about how to build my research profile, register DOIs for data and how and why FAIR matters. The instructors were excellent and everyone was friendly. I would recommend FSCI as a place to learn and stay current at any level and for strategies on how to care for the masses of data that we are producing.”
- “FSCI was an amazing learning journey. It was a unique opportunity to meet great people who do great things and are passionate about sharing.”
FSCI 2018 – San Diego, California
- “Overall I had a really positive experience at FSCI and I thank the programming and organizing committees and all those from UCSD who made this such a great experience. It was fantastic to come together with this group of individuals all focused on scholarly communication which is my work focus. Everyone was friendly and open and it made for a very enjoyable program.”
- “FSCI was great! I recommended it to all my colleagues at work!”
- “It was my first time attending. I learned a lot and loved the atmosphere. The campus was great, and the small class sizes were really nice for getting to know people. I am very glad to have all the course materials still available to me. I am putting some of the knowledge I gained to use immediately. It is clear that a lot of thought goes into putting this learning opportunity together. I would come back every year if I could, but the cost is prohibitive for me. I will tell others to attend though.”
- “Outside of the courses, the Institute offered rich opportunities for conversation and networking with individuals from different disciplines and backgrounds. Overall, my takeaway from FSCI18 was extremely valuable.”
- “I learned my most interesting topics from this event, I wish to attend for next year also would like to network with participants.”
- “The level of commitment was very high and group dynamics were great The Do-a-Thon has to be on the programme next year too.”
- “FSCI was an extremely enriching event, I appreciate the amount of learning experiences especially working with peers.”
- I thought it was great!
- “There were so many excellent topics that I wish I could have attended more, but I also thought the amount of time dedicated to each course was good.”