The following information is provided for instructors. We will be updating this page often.
See instructor frequently asked questions here: https://goo.gl/QsJ2GD
Instructors may log into FORCE11 website and leave a question/comment below or add comments to the FAQ Google Doc here.
We will be using Twitter Hashtag #FSCI to communicate with attendees via Twitter.
The FSCI Slack Workspace is FSCI2018. We have set up a general channel for all FSCI participants and will use this for general announcements. We have also set up a slack channel for each course to use to commuicate and have asked the instructors to invite their students to each channel.
The summer institute attire is very casual – please dress comfortably, summer/beach attire. If you are comfortable, shorts, T-shirts and flip flops are appropriate.
PRE-FSCI INSTRUCTORS ORIENTATION
There will be scheduled pre-event instructor orientations via conference call. An invitation will be sent out and please come back here for updates.
FSCI INSTRUCTORS SCHEDULE – FSCI Schedule
Instructor Courses/Meeting Information
There are two class periods of three hours each day (on Monday, the morning class period only will be two hours rather than three to allow a plenary session for introductions). Morning (AM) classes run each day for the whole week (14 hours total). Afternoon classes run either Monday-Tuesday (MT), or Wednesday-Thursday (WT) (6 hours each). We will be scheduling throughout the event times where classes will be able to present their materials during a plenary session. Coffee will be available throughout the day at the MET-ED outside patio. This means that you do not need to hold a break at a specific time during your class period as you and your students can get refreshments at any time during the day.
There is a common lunch break between 12:30-1:15pm each day. Meals are provided for those who are staying at on campus housing and will be served at the cafeteria next to the Dorm location. This is about a 1/2 mile walk from the meeting location. For those not staying in on-campus housing, we will provide a list of restaurants where you will be able to order food
Instructor Meeting – Review of week activities, updates to course information.
- Sunday, July 29, 2018 5:00pm – 6:00pm
FSCI Opening Plenary
- Monday, July 30 8:45am – 9:45am
AM Courses (AM)
- Monday 10am – 12pm
- Tuesday through Friday 9am – 12pm
Afternoon Courses (MT) and (WT) – 6 hours each
- Monday and Tuesday (MT) 1:30pm – 4:30pm
- Wednesday and Thursday (WT) 1:30pm – 4:30pm
We have booked classrooms for each class at three different buildings. MET, BLB and Skaggs – see room layouts here. We will post these classroom names on the course list with a description of each room. Each room will have the following basic equipment: and set up.
All rooms have movable tables and chairs. Instructors are free to move the chairs and tables around in their room to suit the best learning environment for their particular class. Please be careful when moving tables that you do not break any floor outlets.
Laptops: Instructors should plan on using their own laptops for presenting to the screen. If you need us to rent you a laptop, please let us know by July 21, 2018.
- Table or podium in front of room instructor materials
- Table in back of room with power strip for a charging station
- Whiteboard and markers
- UCSD Guest WIFI
If you have additional needs, please let us know 'firstname.lastname@example.org' and we will try to accommodate your requests.
We have reserved private rooms within shared on-campus apartments for instructors. Instructors are welcome to arrange their own housing off campus at the instructors expense.
Apartments house up to six people in each and include the following. Apartments will be assigned by Gender. You may request roommates on your registration form. Family housing is also available. You may indicate this on the registration form.
- (1) bathroom
- (1) kitchen includes refrigerator, stove and oven only (does not include any kitchen pots, pans, glasses, dishes or utensils).
- Internet is provided through the campus internet
- Gold HouseKeeping: Beds are made upon arrival with (1) set of bed linens, (1) blanket, (1) pillow. (1) set of towels that can be refreshed upon request during stay, clothing hangers, portable fans and toiletries (Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower gel, hand/bar soap). Service includes twice weekly cleaning of commons area and trash removal.
Please note: the apartments do not include televisions or air conditioning
Here is a list of items that will be provided for each course.
- (1) Complimentary Registration Fees
- Daily Meals during the Institute (Mon – Fri) included for those staying on campus.
- On-campus housing ONLY (Sun – Fri single room in an apartment) – Note: For those who are travelling from afar we can also provide a room on Sat night
- Travel reimbursement upon request. Coach fares. International fare reimbursement up to $1,500.00. Domestic fare reimbursement up to $800.